Specialized digital marketing agencies are experts in helping startups with these unique sets of challenges and opportunities.
They offer both end-to-end and specialized digital marketing services, working closely with their clients to advise, strategize and execute highly efficient online campaigns.
Some of the main differentiators between the specialized digital marketing agencies and the generalist ones are:
- They are cost-effective and offer flexible pricing plans
- Their startup experience makes them uniquely positioned to identify and overcome your unique challenges
- They typically act as an extension of your in-house team for seamless collaboration and optimal results
Digital marketing for startups can help establish a brand identity for businesses that are still finding their own ground
Why Hire A Digital Marketing Agency Specialized In Startups?
The main reason why startups hire digital marketing agencies is to tap into their extensive experience and professional resources.
Reason #1: They Focus On The Right Channels
Startups are all about optimization, from investment to reach, engagement and conversions.
Experienced digital marketers assess each startups business model, target market, budget and business goals to select the right mix of channels. These can include:
- Web content optimization
- Organic and paid search
- Instagram, LinkedIn, Tik-Tok and other up-and-coming social media
- Email marketing
- In-app advertising
- And more
Digital marketing for startups needs to be carefully tailored, taking into account the company identity, its niche and industry and target audience.
All the aspects of marketing must be integrated into each other and with each other, to make a unified, consistent messaging voice - the foundation of any good brand.
Reason #2: They Build Brand Awareness
- Digital PR
- And more
Digital marketing companies help startups optimize their investment and reach through research and data-driven insights.
Reason #3: They Create High-Value, Fully Optimized Content
Not only does quality content improve brand perception, it helps put startups on the search engine maps and funnel in more qualified leads.
Some of the content marketing services they provide are:
- Video content creation and marketing
- Downloadable resources like whitepapers and case studies
- And more
Whatever is providing value to your audience in terms of information and knowledge about what you do - you should have plenty of! Shareable content is a forte of any self-respecting digital marketing agency for startups.
Reason #4: They Optimize Marketing Funnels
All instances of a startup's digital presence must be optimized and synchronized.
Startup specialists develop comprehensive digital marketing strategies by
- Identifying all market segments
- Creating buyer personas
- Mapping customer journeys
- Developing for each stage of the marketing funnel
A successful strategy will drive your leads to conversion and, ultimately, advocacy.
We've ranked the top B2B marketing companies. Find them here!
How Much Do Digital Marketing Services For Startups Cost?
The expertise of digital marketing agencies for startups is charged at a price defined by
- An hourly-based payment model
- Monthly-based payment model or
- Project-based fee
Moreover, the pricing range and total cost of digital marketing project comes is defined by:
- Their level of expertise and services they provide
- Location (onshore or offshore)
Startup marketing agencies often base their pricing structure on several packages/tiers - each suitable for different wants and needs. Looking at specific services, however, the pricing range often goes as follows:
- Blog posts: $40 for a 300-word post
- Social Media Ads: $100 or more a month
- Search Engine Optimization: $1,000 per month
- Social Media posting and presence: $1,000 or more per month
- Pay-Per-Click: $250 to $500 a month
How To Choose The Right Digital Marketing Agency For Your Startup
The extensive list of best digital marketing agencies for startups at the top of this page is doing all the heavy-lifting in a sense that you don’t have to look far and wide for a business partner.
But the question remains - how DO you identify the agency that is right for YOU?
This, too, can be overcome by following the below steps and adhering to some standards that you must not abandon at this stage.
Step #1: Scan The Market
Start by scanning the market do get a better understanding of what types of skills, experience and rates you can expect to find and where.
Ranking lists like the one above are a great place to start as they provide you with a list of carefully vetter, reliable options.
Here are some key aspects to focus on in your market research:
- Locations: As a startup, you will want to develop a close relationship with your digital marketing partner for their seamless integration with your team. This will require regular on-site and/or online meetings, so your partner should ideally have offices nearby, or at least be in the same time zone.
- Cost: By scanning our ranking list you'll get a good idea of just how wide the price range can be. This will also depend on agency locations, level of expertise, portfolio quality and other factors.
- Industry experience: Some agencies develop expertise in creating digital marketing strategies for specific industries. This may bring additional advantages to your business as these agencies understand your business, target audiences and other intricacies of your unique environment.
- Project portfolios: Visit the agencies' websites to get a feel for the quality of their services and correlate these with their average fees.
Step #2: Focus On Culture Fit
Ideally, your digital marketing partner will complement your organization so well that you will feel as one team sitting at two locations.
To achieve this synergy, look beyond the technicalities of cost, location and services.
As a young business, you have more power over the evolution of your company culture than you ever will, so choose partners who fit your vision.
To assess the agencies' company culture, focus on the following:
- Their social media profiles
- Their key representatives
- Their email communication etiquette
- Their efficiency in meeting organization, management and follow-ups
- Their responsiveness
- Their insights, including quality and how liberally they provide them
Look beyond the bullet points: Company culture fit is just as important as technical skills.
Step #3: Assess Their Efficiency In Communication
Entrepreneurs and their leadership teams have no time to waste. Optimization, optimization, optimization.
Emails, phone calls and meetings tend to steal your precious time so silently that this often goes unnoticed.
Look for a partner who communicates efficiently across all channels. All your communication instances should feel valuable and complete.
The best startup specialists will have streamlined communication processes in place to facilitate information flow, provide you with timely updates and improve reaction time.
Step #4: Stay On Budget
This may sound too obvious to highlight, however, entrepreneurs can often overestimate and overstretch their budgets.
Start by evaluating your digital marketing goals, expected ROI and spend capacity. To give you an idea: Businesses typically spend 6-11% of their revenue on marketing.
Next, get precise and complete pricing plans from all your partnership candidates, including third-party charges and advertising budgets.
Finally, determine your budget, leaving a buffer for potential surprise charges such as data breach recovery or unexpected digital marketing opportunities.
Looking for the best video marketing companies? Find them here!
10 Questions To Ask When Interviewing Digital Marketing Companies For Startups
Found A Digital Marketing Agency For Your Startup? Here Are A Few Tips To Consider Before Signing The Contract
As a young company, you have a lot to lose. To protect your growing business, take these few last steps before signing the contract:
- Negotiate rates and terms
- Clearly define the deliverables
- Cover all contingencies
- Protect your data
- Respect user protection laws
- Seek legal advice